Easy Tomato Cream Rigatoni
Need easy dinner inspiration for tonight? This easy but totally delicious tomato cream rigatoni recipe is weeknight dinner perfection.
It’s one of those recipes I just threw together one night with a bunch of store-cupboard ingredients. But isn’t that how fantastic recipes start most of the time? It’s become my go-to for busy nights/lazy nights/nights I just need to eat a bowl full of pasta on the couch. The sauce takes as long to cook as the rigatoni pasta does so we’re talking 20 minutes tops. This is how to make rigatoni pasta right. And you won’t be disappointed, guaranteed.
WHAT CAN I ADD TO THIS RIGATONI RECIPE?
If you want to add a protein, cooked chicken, shrimp (prawns) or bacon would all be fantastic. You can also add wilted spinach or kale or sauteed mushrooms to add more vegetables.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 x 400g 14oz can chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- pinch of sugar optional
- ½ cup whipping/heavy cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 500 g 1lb rigatoni, cooked (reserve 1 cup of cooking water)
- Parmesan and basil to serve
- Melt together the olive oil and butter and saute the onions until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds before adding the chopped tomatoes.
- Pour ½ cup water into the tomato can and pour into the pot.
- Season with sugar, salt and pepper then allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the cream and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes before blending until smooth (optional).
- Add the cooked rigatoni to the pasta sauce and stir to coat. Add some of the reserved cooking water to thin out the sauce and make it even silkier.
- Serve topped with grated Parmesan and fresh basil leaves
Recipe by Chef: Alida