- 5tablespoons olive oil
- 2garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄3cups couscous
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4teaspoon cayenne
- 3⁄4teaspoon salt
- 1cup tomato juice
- 1cup water
- 1lb Italian sausage
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 1tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large frying pan with a lid, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderately low heat. Add the garlic, couscous, cumin, cayenne, and ½ teaspoon of the salt to the pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the couscous starts to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato juice and water. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover, remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the couscous to a platter or large glass bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the broiler. Coat the sausages with ½ tablespoon of the oil.
- Broil the sausages, turning occasionally, until completely cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. When the sausages are cool enough to handle, cut them into thin slices.
- Toss the cooled couscous with the lemon juice and the remaining oil, salt and tomato. Top with the sausages and cilantro.