- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup uncooked pearl couscous
- 2 cups baby spinach, packed
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon zest to serve (optional)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in thyme, rosemary and smoked paprika until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes. Whisk in vegetable stock, bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Stir in couscous, reduce heat and simmer until couscous is tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in baby spinach and chickpeas beans and cook until the spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and parsley; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with lemon zest if desired.