- 1 medium fennel bulb with stalks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup prechopped onion
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 10 pitted kalamata olives, quartered
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can unsalted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- Trim tough outer leaves from fennel; mince feathery fronds to measure 2 tablespoons. Remove and discard stalks. Cut fennel bulb in half lengthwise; discard core. Vertically slice fennel bulb.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. Add chicken to pan; cookminutes on each side or until well browned. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add sliced fennel, onion, and carrot to pan; cook 3 minutes. Add cinnamon and red pepper, if desired; cook 1 minute. Add orange juice, olives, and tomatoes. Increase heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add chicken and accumulated juices to pan. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 20 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Bring 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in couscous; cover. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Serve chicken and vegetables over couscous. Top with fennel fronds.